Friday, July 22, 2011

Nostalgia......in a probably 1 fluid oz container.

Do you have music that clearly reminds you of exact places you've been while listening to it and when were there? Well, I guess it's sort of a stupid question to ask because I'm pretty sure everyone does that. For example, the little portion of the irritating mainstream dates back to when I was musically stupid. Well, I guess I wasn't...I was brought up with classical, folk, classic rock, etc. So I guess all the new stuff sort of fascinated me. Then there was my emo angsty rock period in the beginning of seventh grade where I swore to never listen to pop again. At the end of seventh, I was opening up to the stuff Lizzi gave me and just listening to her songs remind me so clearly of our San Francisco trip. The rest of my stuff reminds me of pretty small moments in time. The first Lady Gaga song I listened to brings me back of memories of sitting in the subway in Hong Kong. If I play songs during my guilty pleasure pop/artistic (aka a nice word for plainly weird) rock phase, I think about me hiding my double identity that I didn't want to do. This also happens to me through the types of hand sanitizer I use >.< Don't ask..A lot of memories are made by a teeny little plastic bottle from Bath and Body Works. What's weird is that it doesn't work through lotion....or body spray....just hand sanitizer. I remember using something that smelled like peaches and mint, and the smell reminds me when I was bored with school and this was sort of a pick me up. No, I didn't huff hand sanitizer. Another one that I used was this really strong candied apple scented stuff. It reminded me of gross Shahilish times. This is definitely a smell that my nostrils do not want to revisit. Slutty, girly, rotten, tainted, candy coated lies, hurt, poison....Strong words (sorta?) for a smell in a bottle that costed 1.50. Yesterday I paid a trip to the good ol' store and picked up some more because who knows how many STD's you can pick up around school with your hands and bought 5 more bottles. Who knows which parts and what kinds of my life are going to be represented in each tiny little bottle. Well, 2 bottles already smell like my past (they both date back to kindergarten when I made my first friend and we were playing with little girl perfume). But maybe more important things will take its place. Hopefully good things, because the funniest feeling is felt (whoa alliteration) when you smell it again in the future, and it's even stranger when it represents something good. It is an unholy mixture of happiness, wistfulness, and even a hint of sadness. Even the smallest things bring back a ton of memories. At first I don't notice, but then I actually think about it and BAM. Blast from the past. I could think about...say, a bag of ramen noodles or look at some of my mom's jewelry and feel like reminiscing. It's bizarrely powerful. I guess this is me sort of looking backwards and getting a feel of the future, even though who knows what it's going to bring me. All of this talk from music and hand cleaning fluids.
I'm a real deep person, aren't I? ;P

And for the top picture.....No one better wear that fucking scent around me or else I may cheerfully rip their bladder out. And you need that, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment